It's supposed to be filled for life. Great, but if you suspect a leak there's no dip stick or fill tube, and there's no warning sensor. Someone else has posted instructions for changing gear oil in what looks like a manual tranny: Changing the Transmission Gear Oil
If your transmission does strange things while the car is turning that's a sign that the fluid could be low and is sloshing away from the suction filter.
The ATF level is checked by removing a check plug when the transmission is cool (30 degrees C -- if you've driven it in the last several hours it's probably too hot to do this. I checked mine an hour after driving and it was still at 68 C). The car is then started. Once the temperature reaches 35 C if it begins to leak out you can replace the plug and are finished. If it reaches 40 C without leaking out then add ATF through the check hole until it begins to spill out and then seal. Bentley specs 50C for warm countries.
- Pentosin ATF1 or something similar (~$15/L - I found some at NAPA). Audi spec for my car is for: G 052 162 A2 (A2 designates 1L size bottle).
- Oil suction gun ($10) to inject ATF through a tube, or possibly a long tube connected to a funnel held high...
- 17 mm hex 1/2 in. drive. Torque check plug to 80 Nm (~60 ft lbs). I had to go to several parts stores before finding one (a 3 piece set ~$15, I think from Pep Boys ...and Advance has a 12 point star bit set for $8, for CV-joints).
- New check plug seal: 01V 321 379 ($3) (if not check for leaks down the road and replace if needed when car is cold)
- Vag-Com or similar scanner to monitor temperature of your transmission. If you do this on a very hot 100F day you might be able to get away without measuring??? Both too much and too little are bad.
|Cap (L)||Repair (L)||Gear Oil***||Part #||Check Temp (C)||Torque Fill / Drain (Nm)|
* 5 spd 2WD has 2.25 L cap.
** Continuously Variable Transmission has different specs for capacities, torques, fluids as well as for the differentials...
*** SAE 75 W 90 spec is for synthetic (no indication of GL-4 or GL-5 -- may not matter with synthetic GL-5?)
|5 spd manual AWD||2.75*||SAE 75 W 90||G 052 911 A 1||25 / ?|
|6 spd manual||2.5||SAE 75 W 90||G 052 911 A 1||40 / 40|
|Planet Gear (5 spd AT)**||9.0||< 3.0||ATF||G 052 162 A2||40||80 / 40|
|Final Drive-Front (AT)||0.8||SAE75 W90||G 052 145 A2||short drive (60)||30 / NA|
|Center Torsion diff (AT)||0.8||SAE75 W90||G 052 145 A2||35 / 20|
|Final Drive-Rear||1.5||GL-5 SAE 90||35 / 35|